The Waiting Game

Today marks two months since the fire and robbery. Despite having paid the negotiation to the lawyers of the rental agency two weeks ago I’m still unable to leave the country. I’m currently awaiting the federal prosecutor to officially dropped the charges. Initially I was told everything would be cleared as early as last week. Yesterday I returned to the northern coast to inquire as to why things are taking so long. Along with my lawyer I went directly to the Department of Justice. We were informed that the federal prosector for my case is currently “on vacation”….frustrating to say the least! My lawyer inquired about having another prosecutor to review my case in order to expedite the process. We spoke with another and she stated that there’s nothing she can do and that I must await the return of the one assigned to my case.

This obviously left me annoyed and with many more questions. As I asked over a dozen questions to my lawyer and members of the Justice Department, I was told that there still remains a possibility the prosector could pursue the charges against me since it is a public case. Upon hearing this I definitely became scared. My lawyer immediately debunked that statement and told me not to worry.

So what’s to expect next? On Monday I will return to the Justice Department in Puerto Plata will my lawyer. Hopefully my assigned prosector will return from vacation. If/when he decides to officially lift the charges we have to return before the judge. I’m told then I will be able to leave. I am hoping this can be all done as soon as early next week. In the mean time I’m trying to stay calm, faithful and optimistic.

Thanks for your continued support and prayers!

Next week…fingers crossed!

Happy 1st day of February! I can’t believe that it will be almost two months ago that the fire took place. A lot of people are wondering if I’ve returned back to the States. I’m currently still here…still playing the waiting game. On Friday the 24th of January my lawyer and I met with the lawyers of the rental agency. I gave them the money negotiated and they gave me a notarized document dropping all charges. The reason for the delay in the exchange of money was due to money gram. Long story short, when my lawyer and I went to retrieve a transfer from my parents the bank here stated that the money was “already paid out”. They later admitted a system error and told me it would be 3 business days to get. That ended up being over a week.

Now that we have the document dropping charges, I’m waiting for the judge to sign off. Initially I was told that it would be as early as Wednesday. However, my lawyer just called and said it would take longer. I’m not sure why but they keep reiterating that “you’re not in the US”…meaning things just take time. I’m trying to be patient, strong and faithful all at the same time. So it looks like the earliest I can get a flight will be next week.

I continue to appreciate your support, thoughts and prayers! I’m optimistic that this chapter of my life is coming to a gradual end and I’m looking forward to moving forward.

Sincerely,

Sherman